sábado, 23 de outubro de 2021

Do x Make

 





Activities

Use the verb "do" to express daily activities or jobs. Notice that these are usually activities that produce no physical object.

  • I usually do my homework after dinner.
  • Both my mother and father do the housework.
  • I like to do the ironing while I watch TV.
  • Tom does a few jobs around the house.

General Ideas

"Do" is also used when speaking about things in general.

  • I'm not doing anything today.
  • He does everything for his mother.
  • She's doing nothing at the moment.

Expressions Using "Do"

There are a number of standard expressions that take the verb "do." These are collocations (verb/noun combinations) that are used in English.





Constructing, Building, Creating

Use the verb "make" to express an activity that creates something tangible.

  • Let's make hamburgers this evening.
  • I made a cup of tea. Would you like some?
  • Look at the mess you made!
  • The verb "make" is also frequently used in expressions related to money.
  • Jennifer makes a lot of money at her job.
  • She made a huge profit off the last deal.
  • We made a two-year deal.

Expressions Using "Make"

There are a number of standard expressions that take the verb ​"make." In a number of cases the verb do seems more appropriate. These are standard collocations (verb/noun combinations) that are used in English.

  • I've made plans for the weekend.
  • I'll make an exception to the rule for you.
  • Let me make a telephone call.
  • Susan made a mistake on the report.





Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário